These small awards are intended to support research, training and travel expenses for Brown PhD graduate students conducting environmental research across the physical sciences, life sciences, social sciences, and/or humanities.
The award competition is open to all graduate students enrolled at Brown University, with a current IBES affiliation. To be eligible for funding, affiliated students must meet the following requirements:
- Be currently enrolled in PhD-level graduate studies at Brown University.
- Conduct research that fits within the research & sustainability efforts of IBES, those of our core faculty, and elected fellows & affiliates.
- Have expenses that will be reimbursed before the end of September 2021 (exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Have the support of their graduate advisor in applying for funding; note that advisors will be asked to provide a short nomination letter.
Requests for up to $5,000 in funding will be considered. Award may not be spent on graduate student salary, consulting, or – while the current travel ban remains in effect – on travel expenses.
How to Apply
Send a proposal that includes the following elements:
- A brief description of the background context for the project (or project to be presented at a scientific conference). This paragraph should describe the general problem or question being addressed and why that problem or question is interesting and important.
- A brief description of the general approach to be employed and the anticipated results or products that will be developed from this work. Specify what will result from the IBES funding and how it contributes to the larger research project or activity being undertaken. Be sure to describe how your proposed work will provide intellectual advances to your field of study.
- A simple budget that lists the specific items being requested for funding and that justifies those expenses.
- The name and email contact of your graduate advisor.
The primary proposal text should be no longer than one page (with 11 point font and one-inch margins), but the budget and budget justification can be placed on a second page. Proposal text should be written in clear, concise, and non-technical language for an interdisciplinary review panel.
Send your application as a PDF to [email protected], with the subject line “Graduate RT&T Award Application”. Upon receipt of your proposal, your faculty advisor will be contacted to solicit additional input on the project or activity. Questions: please contact Jeanne Loewenstein ([email protected]).