Accepting applications via Handshake starting Friday, January 22, 2021
The Institute at Brown for Environment and Society has partnered with environmental organizations to offer paid summer internship experiences for Brown University undergraduate students. These awards allow students to explore career options and engage in experiential learning activities outside of the classroom. Please note - IBES will provide the intern with a stipend in place of a salary paid by the organization.
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island - ID #4336412 - 1 opening
- City of Providence Office of Sustainability - ID #4336631 - 1 opening
- Farm Fresh Rhode Island - ID #4336555 - 1 opening
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Office of Environmental Protection - ID #4335842 - 1 opening
- Office of Natural Resources - ID #4336331 - 1 opening
- The Nature Conservancy of Rhode Island
- Coastal Restoration Project - ID # 4336901 - 2 openings
- Cities & Climate Change Project - ID #4336868 - 1 opening
- University of Miami School of Law, Center for Ethics and Public Service, Community Equity Lab - ID #4336942 - 1 opening
- $4,000 stipend – Please note this is paid in a lump sum and is intended to cover your summer living expenses
- Department Summer Earnings Waiver (DSEW) awards for students who qualify
You may apply if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You are an active Brown undergraduate student (May 2021 graduates are not eligible).
- Student must file an I9 with Brown HR in order to be able to receive a summer stipend
- If you are studying abroad or on leave: You may apply provided you maintain an active, registered status at Brown.
- International students are eligible to apply, but may be subject to tax withdrawals if their nation of citizenship does not have treaty benefits with the U.S. - please contact the Brown Payroll Office if you have questions regarding this matter.
Students on leave during Spring 2021, or taking courses during the Summer Semester are ineligible to apply
- Internships must be 8-12 weeks with students expected to complete a minimum of 320 hours of supervised work. Experience is for the summer only, so work has to be completed by August 31, 2021.
- Students must collaborate with their supervisors to develop and submit a work plan to [email protected] (cc to [email protected]) by April 30, 2021.
- Participants need to provide a one paragraph mid-summer check-in and 1-2 page end of summer summary about their internship experience, as well as, photos taken of them working in the field.
- Selected students and the organizations they work with will be required to submit feedback forms at the end of the internship experience
How to Apply:
- We will be accepting online applications via Handshake
- Application deadline is Monday, February 22, 11:59pm EST
- Students are strongly encouraged to bring their resume and cover letter to CareerLAB or The Writing Center for review before submitting their application.
- Hiring organizations will directly contact potential candidates they wish to interview.
- Applicants should send inquiries to [email protected], instead of personally contacting organizations.
- Students will be notified of selection status by the end of March
- These awards may not be combined with other funding from Brown, such as UTRA, Voss Fellowships, IBES ENVS Concentrator Summer Research & Internship Awards, Royce, or Link awards.
Applications Submitted through Handshake at Brown must include the following:
- Cover Letter explaining your interest in the opportunity and how you believe this experience will benefit you academically & professionally.
- Current Résumé; you can visit the CareerLAB site for résumé & cover letter tips.
- Provide contact information for at least one reference (preferably a Brown faculty member, though not required). DON’T send letters of recommendation, just info on how to contact a reference in case organization chooses to ask them about you. Click here to download Reference Contact Information Form.