Two ways students can engage in hands-on learning with IBES
Each year, the Institute at Brown for Environment and Society (IBES) offers funded internship, research, and training opportunities for undergraduates of all concentrations interested in climate, sustainability, and the environment. Explore the IBES Summer Internship Program and Voss Fellowships below, and submit your applications by February 19, 2024.
Hear from IBES-Funded Students
IBES funds undergrads through the IBES Summer Internship Program and Voss Fellowships each summer. Here's a look into some of these experiences!
IBES Summer Internship Program
IBES has partnered with a variety of environmental organizations to offer paid summer internships for Brown undergraduates. This year's internships will take place with:
- Audubon Society of Rhode Island, Stormwater Innovation Center
- City of Providence Parks Department, Roger Williams Park Botanical Center
- George Wiley Center
- Orion Magazine
- Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Office of Natural Resources
- The Nature Conservancy of Rhode Island, Coastal Restoration Project
- The Nature Conservancy of Rhode Island, Climate & Government Relations
- Columbia Law School, Sabin Center for Climate Change Law
- University of Miami School of Law, Center for Ethics and Public Service, Community Equity Lab
Voss Undergraduate Research Fellowships in Environmental Science and Communication
Voss Fellowships offer distinguished opportunities for undergraduates interested in environmental research at Brown, offering awardees a large stipend and additional funds for related expenses. They are open to rising seniors in any concentration who intend to pursue a summer project that will become the framework for their honors thesis.
Voss Fellows receive science communication training and professional development opportunities throughout their senior year. Toward the end of the academic year, they present their research findings during a poster session open to the community.